Friday, October 26, 2012

London has markets, too

Although I was more than thrilled to visit at least one British museum, I was disappointed to not have had the chance to visit a market while in London last weekend. I don't think the British define themselves by their markets as much as the French do, but they certainly have a few to brag about. Had I been in the market for quirky treasures, Grays Antique Market would have been the place to be. If I'd been searching for a "funky outfit," a stop into Spitalsfields Market would have been necessary. And had I wanted to feast my eyes on one of the world's oldest and largest food markets, I really should have spent an afternoon at Borough Market. I most regret not visiting Camden Market though. I was so, so close just one week ago. According to visitlondon.com, surrounding Market Hall "you’ll find small shops and market stalls selling everything from vintage fashion, handmade jewellery and beautiful homewares sourced from around the globe." Sounds wonderful, doesn't it? Let's take a virtual visit:
Overall, it feels a lot less nostalgic (a.k.a. more modern) than French markets, yet there are still the same crowds of locals and visitors from various walks of life in addition to a seemingly countless number of treasures. Perhaps I'll have to plan another visit to London soon? This video paired with the the fact that I know I'd be able to interact with each and every vendor (thanks to the fact that they too are native English speakers) has gotten me more than intrigued.

No comments:

Post a Comment